Marketing timing is critical.
You need to have your objectives set, plans in place and creative ready well in advance of the tourism season starting. Having marketing and promotional plans in place by November will mean you can start to deliver effectively at the start of the season.
When making marketing mix decisions, there’s no harm in revisiting your approach to check everything still holds good and you’re channeling your efforts in the right direction.
Top ten questions to ask yourself
- What objectives have you set yourself this year i.e. increase overall number of visitors, increase profit, increase the average value of each visitor, get new customers, encourage repeat business, get as many people as possible to be aware of your existence?
- Is there anything happening in the environment that could impact on your business or how you communicate with your customers? A really handy tool to help you do this is the PESTEL model. You can separate the influences into Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environment and Legal factors.
- Who is your target audience?
- Who actually visits you?
- Are there any gaps between your target and your actual audience and if so, do you want to do anything about it?
- What media does your target audience use i.e. do they like a bit of paper in their hands or do they do everything online?
- What kind of places do your target audience go to?
- Do you have a good up-to-date database of your customers?
- What is the best way to get your messages out to your customers i.e. website, social media, poster, leaflet, tourist map?
- What words and pictures work best for your target audience?
Once you’ve answered these questions you’ve got the basis of your marketing plan! You’ll also need to monitor, control and evaluate your activity by consulting your financial, visitor and marketing data (such as your website and email data). If you spot a problem – it’s better to be aware of it sooner rather than later, after all you can’t address something you don’t know about. Similarly if you find something that is really working well for you, you’ll know you could do more of it!
Take One Media is here to help. Why not check out how well we worked with Diggerland or contact us now and we’ll help you draw up a great tourism marketing plan – don’t get left behind!